Shopping on Instagram gives your business an immersive storefront for people to explore your best products with a single tap. With shopping on Instagram, you can choose photos you’d like to feature, tag up to five products per image or up to twenty products per carousel, add filters or captions and you’re done. You can also save drafts or preview your posts.
Shopping posts give people access to pricing and product details both within the Instagram feed and through the Shop button on your business profile. By tapping on a post, people can take the next step to learn more about products that inspire them from the brands they love.
Heads up! Right now, Instagram and Facebook must approve your products to be tagged in your Instagram posts. We’re also still waiting for them to give Big Cartel access to sync your products automatically to Instagram, but until then, we have the manual solution outlined below. While it’s not a guarantee your shop will be approved, it may help get your products on Instagram’s radar.
To submit your Big Cartel products to be approved by Facebook and Instagram, you’ll need the following:
- Instagram business profile
- Business Manager set up for your shop’s Facebook page
- Instagram profile synced to your Facebook page
- Open up Facebook’s Business Manager for your page.
- Under the Business Tools menu (looks like a dotted grid) click the Catalog Manager button.
- Click the Create Catalog button.
- Choose E-commerce > Next.
- Select the Upload Product Info box then select your business’s name from the dropdown and give the Catalog a name - for example,
Big Cartel Shop. Any easily identifiable name should do.
- Click Create.
- From the Catalog > Use Cases page click the Instagram Shopping button.
- Click the Add Products button.
- Select the Use Data Feeds option.
- Choose Set a Schedule and then in the Data Feed URL field, enter your full Big Cartel URL with
/products.xmladded at the end, for example:
subdomainwith your own store’s subdomain.)
- Select Daily as your schedule option then click Start Upload.
- Once that upload is complete, go back to the Use Cases page. Under Instagram Shopping, click the Connect Profile button.
- Toggle on the switch to connect your Instagram Business Profile.
- Now we wait! Some stores will be approved within a few days, others will just have to wait and see. You’ll see a notification in your Instagram account if you’re approved for product tagging.
After getting approved
If eligible and approved, Instagram will opt your account into the shopping feature. You’ll see an alert in your Instagram app if you’re approved, along with a new Shop tab in your Instagram profile when viewed in the app. From there, here’s how to complete the setup:
- View your store’s Instagram profile in the app.
- Tap the Get Started alert at the top of your profile.
- If you don’t see the alert, tap the settings (gear) icon.
- Tap Products > Continue.
- Select your product catalog to connect to your profile.
- Tap Done.
After that, you can begin tagging products in your new (and old) Instagram posts:
- Select a photo and add a caption, effects, and filters.
- Tap the products in the photo that you want to tag.
- Enter the names of the products you want to tag, then select them as they appear in the search box.
- Tap Done.
- Tap Share.