As a social media platform that places images front and center, Instagram can be a great way for artists to catch the eye of new customers and build up a following.
📸 New to the Instagram promotion game, or want to brush up on your skills? Check out these must-read guides and tips on our blog, Workshop.
Link your Instagram profile to your shop
All of our built-in themes include the option to include a link to your Instagram profile, no coding required.
- From a desktop computer, head to Account > Customize your design.
- At the bottom of the Customize screen, enter the address to your Instagram profile in the Instagram URL field. For example:
- Click Save. Now you’ll see a link to your profile in your shop’s navigation.
Display a feed of your Instagram images in your shop
While there isn’t a built-in way to do this, stores on paid plans can include code provided by an app like SnapWidget or LightWidget to import the latest Instagram image thumbnails into a page. You can also use Socialphotos to show off Instagram shots from your customers.
Keep in mind we aren’t able to provide direct support for code customizations, so proceed with caution or enlist in a designer’s help if you need a hand.
- From a desktop computer, generate your Instagram feed widget code using one of the services linked above, or your own third-party widget.
- Head to Account > Customize your design.
- From here you can add the code to a custom page in your store, or drop it in to a built-in page like Home.
- When you’re finished, click Done and Save.
Using Instagram’s shopping features
You may have noticed some online stores out there using Instagram’s “Shop Now” buttons and product tagging in Instagram posts.
Right now, this feature is only available to select platforms and stores that Instagram and Facebook will need to manually approve first. We hope they’ll officially open things up to more sellers very soon!
In the meantime, there are some steps you can follow below to try and get access to this Instagram feature. While it’s not a guarantee your shop will be approved, it can potentially help get your products on Instagram’s radar.
- Make sure your Instagram account is a Business account - you can convert a personal profile to a Business account using these steps.
- Make sure you have Business Manager set up for your shop’s Facebook page.
- Ensure your Instagram profile is synced up to your Facebook page.
Upload a product catalog
- Open up Facebook’s Business Manager for your page.
- Under Assets, click Catalogs.
- Click the Create Catalog button.
- Choose E-commerce > Next.
- Select your business’s name from the dropdown and give the Catalog a name - for example,
Big Cartel Shop. Any easily identifiable name should do.
- Click Create.
- Click View Catalog > Add Products.
- Choose Set a Schedule.
- In the Data Feed URL field, enter:
yourstoresubdomainwith your own store’s subdomain.)
- Now we wait! Some stores will be approved within a few days, others will just have to wait and see. You’ll see a notification in your Instagram account when you’re approved for product tagging.
If eligible and approved, Instagram will will opt your account in to the shopping feature. You’ll see an alert in your Instagram app if you are approved, along with a new Shop tab in your Instagram profile when viewed in the app.
If you get approved, that’s great! Here’s how to complete the setup:
- View your store’s Instagram profile in the app.
- Tap the Get Started alert at the top of your profile.
- If you don’t see the alert, tap the settings (gear) icon.
- Tap Products > Continue.
- Select your product catalog to connect to your profile.
- Tap Done.